Saturday, May 21, 2011

An Unexpected Role Model

I've been exceptionally busy the last couple of weeks. A couple of weeks ago, some other PCVs and I helped some Moroccans who were doing some health education at an event in a town a couple of hours from where I live.

More recently, over a series of a few days, I helped coordinate the activities of a half dozen other PCVs who were here in my town. Some of them were here to help educate about health and environmental issues.

During the same few days, in a park here in my town, many members of my community were performing, including by dancing and singing. A friend of mine who's a PCV sang and played his guitar in the park here on one of those nights.

At the same time, kids here in my site were painting murals around town. We were also doing other community beautification projects. As we were planting some trees one day, this one boy, who honestly looks rather haggard, and who actually is an orphan, started picking up candy wrappers and other trash, and started throwing it in a plastic bag. Keep in mind that youths here, as in many places in the world, often discard their trash by simply dropping it on the ground. So, knowing what youths often do with their garbage here, and that this boy has no parents to guide him and correct his behavior, I was especially taken aback when I saw him picking up trash and throwing it in a plastic bag.

No comments:

Post a Comment