Saturday, October 8, 2011

There's A First Time For Everything...

Earlier this week, I met Stan, the other PCV who lives here in the same town where I live here, at a café for some coffee. As we were sitting there, we shared our musings about our lives here in Morocco. At one point, I told Stan that, in my ten months of living here in this town, while I have seen foreign female tourists sitting at cafés here in our town, I have never, not even once, seen Moroccan women or Moroccan girls sitting in a café here in town.

When we got up to pay for our cups of coffee, we saw two Moroccan teenage girls sitting at a table in the café. There's a first time for everything... Literally one or two seconds later, I looked further towards the front of the café, and saw three Moroccan women sitting at another table. There's a second time...

1 comment:

  1. For a female PCV's perspective on the presence of women and girls, or lack thereof, in cafes in Morocco, see the blog of this female Youth Development PCV here in Morocco, in particular her February 4, 2011 blog entry:
    http://alexinmorocco.blogspot.com/2011/02/women-and-cafes.html

    ReplyDelete