Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Horse-Drawn Carriage

On my way back to the town where I live down here in the Sahara, I went with some of my friends, Chadwick, Tirzah and Emily, to the coastal city of Essaouira. I was happy to be there. I got to see some friends I hadn't seen in the last several weeks. Essaouira is on the coast, so generally it was cool during my visit there.

While it's often cool there, in the middle of the day it can get a little hot, particularly if one is in the sun. So I was happy to agree when one of my friends suggested catching a ride in one of the horse-drawn carriages which transport people there in Essaouira. As far as I can remember, here in Morocco I've only seen horse-drawn carriages in Marrakech and Essaouira. And I'd never previously rode in one in Morocco, so I was glad he suggested it.

Especially since I live in a rural area, I see donkeys transporting people more often than horses. However, I haven't seen any donkey-drawn carriages anywhere in Morocco. Down here in the desert, I see people using donkeys to transport carts of various items, including food, metal, lumber, concrete blocks and other building materials. It's always interesting to note the differences amongst various regions when I travel here in Morocco, including means of transport.

No comments:

Post a Comment