Friday, May 11, 2012

The Consequences Of My Own Words

I've never been a big proponent of journaling or keeping a diary. However, my attitude about keeping a journal may be changing.

Yesterday I experienced an immediate, inescapable, immensely helpful benefit from reading my own words. I drew toward me a piece of paper on which I had written some musings weeks ago. On it I'd penned some words of potential guidance. When I read them, I was pinned down. I hadn't yet been fully aware of it when I wrote those words, but when I authored those words, I had committed myself. I couldn't escape the necessary consequences of my own words. If I was suggesting to others to challenge themselves by pursuing a course of action which they might not find ideal, I would be hypocritical by failing to do so myself.

So I've come to realize one of the benefits of writing down one's thoughts, which could be in a journal. Since then, this morning, I've already started doing so more often, and I'm going to continue frequently doing so.

No comments:

Post a Comment