Saturday, July 21, 2012

Are You Moroccan?

Moroccans don't expect foreigners to speak Darija, that is, Moroccan Arabic. I speak basic Darija. In the town where I live here in the Sahara, people know that I live here, and many of them have spoken with me, so they're not surprised when I speak Darija with them. When I travel, though, Moroccans are often surprised when I speak Darija.

Sometimes while I've been up in northern Morocco, while I've been wearing my turban, I've spoken Darija, and it seems to have confused a few Moroccans. Apparently seeing me in the turban, and hearing me speak Darija, they've been thrown off by these phenomena which they don't expect from someone who looks like me, and they've asked me if I'm Moroccan.

I've thought that it's been a silly question to ask me in particular. I've never been told that my physical features look Moroccan. I figure that the people who ask me if I'm Moroccan are thrown off because I'm speaking Darija, and because I'm wearing the turban. After all, I've never been asked if I'm Moroccan when I'm only speaking Darija or when I'm only wearing the turban!

No comments:

Post a Comment