Thursday, July 12, 2012

The Sound Of Culture

One night while I've been here in Rabat, I found a public phone and used a calling card to call a loved one in the states whose birthday it was. While I was on the phone with him, a procession of cars drove past me, honking their horns. The sound of the car horns was loud enough that it was transmitted through the phone to the U.S. My loved one on the phone asked me what the sound was. I told him that cars were driving by and honking their horns. I explained that people who are attending a wedding here in Morocco often honk their horns as they drive their cars on that night. I liked how my loved one back in the states, even though he wasn't here, still got a sampling of the culture here, even though he was merely on the phone with me, through the sound others were making here.

No comments:

Post a Comment